Configuring SQL Reporting Services for ConfigMgr is pretty simple, when it works. We ran into a problem the other week however, where SRS would not configure or allow the importing of reports on a couple of our reporting servers. There are lots of websites that contain similiar issues and the resolutions that I ended up implementing, but I was unable to find them all in one place and they weren’t specific to ConfigMgr so I’m posting here with some screenshots to collate all the information that I found.
Using Reporting Services Configuration Manager I was able to configure the Report Server to my desired configuration. I was able to add the ConfigMgr Reporting Services point role to my site system and the wizard completed successfully. However, in the log files I observed the following:
SMSSRSRP Setup Started….
Parameters: D:\MICROS~1\bin\i386\ROLESE~1.EXE /install /siteserver:CENSCCM01 SMSSRSRP
Installing Pre Reqs for SMSSRSRP
======== Installing Pre Reqs for Role SMSSRSRP ========
Found 0 Pre Reqs for Role SMSSRSRP
======== Completed Installion of Pre Reqs for Role SMSSRSRP ========
Installing the SMSSRSRP
Chart control detected. Invoking process “D:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\i386\DUNSETUP.EXE”
Chart control setup D:\Microsoft Configuration Manager\bin\i386\DUNSETUP.EXE failed with return code 0x00000001. Installation cannot continue.
Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.Srs.SrsServer. error = Unspecified error
STATMSG: ID=7402 SEV=E LEV=M SOURCE=”SMS Server” COMP=”SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT” SYS=CENSCCM01
Failures reported during periodic health check by the SRS Server CENSCCM01. Will retry check in 57 minutes�
Waiting for changes for 57 minutes�
Site Status > [Site] > Component Status > SMS_SRS_REPORTING_POINT:
SMS SRS Reporting Point failed to monitor SRS Server on “CENSCCM01”.
When attempting to ‘Copy Reports to Reporting Services’ however, the boxes would be greyed out and it would briefly read “Retrieving report object from the server … ” followed shortly by “Error connecting to report server ‘CENSCCM01′”.
After searching online for reasons for all of these behaviours I read several posts and articles that made reference to the requirement of a default SQL instance. Upon comparing those reporting servers that were working with those that were not working, it became evident that this was the issue.
The reporting servers that were working had a default instance (MSSQLSERVER) installed, whereas those that weren’t, had a named instance (CCM) instead. This was reflected in the instance selection menu in the Reporting Services Configuration Connection box when launching Reporting Services Configuration Manager.
For those servers that just had a named instance installed (CCM) and didn’t have the option of the default instance, I had to install it.
On the servers in question, I went to Programs and Features, selected the SQL Server installation (in my case ‘Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (64-bit)’) and selected Uninstall/Change.
I selected ‘Add’ and then when prompted, selected my install files from the software repository on our network. I then followed the wizard, selecting the below values on each page.
- Setup Install Files > Install
- Setup Support Rules > Next
- Installation Type > Perform a new installation of SQL Server 2008 > Next
- Product Key > Enter the Product Key [Product Key] > Next
- License Terms > I accept the license terms > Next
- Feature Selection > Database Engine Services; Reporting Services > Next
- Instance Configuration > Default Instance > Next
- Disk Space Requirements > Next
- Server Configuration > Use the same account for all SQL Server services, account name: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM > OK > Next
- Database Engine Configuration > Windows Authentication Mode > Add… > [User Accounts for Admin] > OK > Next
- Reporting Services Configuration > Install the native mode default configuration > Next
- Error and Usage Reporting > Next
- Installation Rules > Next
- Ready to Install > Install
After installing the default instance and configuring it in Reporting Services Configuration Manager, I was then able to import all reports. For those servers that I’d already attempted to configure on the CCM instance, I had to go in and change the Web Service URL TCP port to something different on the CCM instance in order to set this up on the default instance.
Also, as I was running SCCM 2007 R3, I had to apply hotfix KB2449910 [Link] in order to create new reports using SRS. Before applying the hotfix, the management console would crash with the error: System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
My Reporting Services Configuration is as follows:
- Service Account: Use Built-in account > Local System
- Web Service URL:
- Virtual Directory: ReportServer
- IP Address: All Assigned (Recommended)
- TCP Port: 80
- SSL Certificate: (Not Selected)
- SSL Port: Blank
- SQL Server Name: CENSCCM01
- Database Name: ReportServer
- Report Server Mode: Native
- Credential: ServiceAccount
- Login: LocalSystem
- Password: ***********
- Report Manager URL: Reports
- E-Mail Settings:
- Sender Address: <Administrative E-Mail>
- Current SMTP Delivery Method: Use SMTP Server
- SMTP Server: <SMTP Server>
- Execution Account:
- Specify an Execution account [Ticked]
- Account: <Service Account>
- Password: *******
- Encryption Keys: N/A
- Scale-Out Deployment:
- Server: CENSCCM01
- Instance: MSSQLSERVER